Tremor Gram – June 2015
Summer Travel Tips
Summer is a perfect time for family vacations and travel adventures. However, getting through airport security can be especially difficult for people affected by ET. Below are tips to make your travels stress-free.
- Give yourself plenty of time to arrive so you don’t rush through security.
- Wear slip-on shoes that are easy to remove and put back on.
- Review your airline’s security requirements prior to arrival at your gate. Don’t forget to check for your return flight as well.
Before entering security:
- Be prepared to empty your pockets of loose change, keys and your cell phone. Carry as little in your pockets as possible.
- Have your ID and travel documents in your hand.
- Consider carrying a medical card on hand to discreetly communicate about special needs to security officers. The TSA has a notification card available for free download at www.tsa.gov.
You can talk to a representative through TSA Cares, a toll-free hotline at 1.855.787.2227, to get more information about screening that is relevant to your specific disability or condition.
New Mobile-Friendly Site
You can now access a new efficient version of EssentialTremor.org on your smartphones, tablets and other mobile devices with our new mobile-friendly site. The site allows users to navigate with ease through all the same components of the IETF’s standard website but through a more user-friendly application. Visit EssentialTremor.org in your Internet browser on your mobile device to see the new look.
Assistive Rocker Knife
The IETF strives to stay at the forefront of assistive technology to allow ET patients to live their daily lives with greater ease. For example, The Rocker Knife with T-handle is an easy-to-use adaptive knife that cuts food with a rocking motion. This tool helps remain motion stability despite having a tremor. The 4 1/2 inch stainless steel single-edge curved blade easily cuts through food and can be sharpened like any other kitchen knife. Simply apply gentle pressure to the handle with your whole hand then simply rock back and forth. Available with a wood or plastic handle for $18.95 at CaregiverProducts.com. More ET assistive devices are listed on the IETF website here and are updated frequently.
ET Reference Guide: Discover the Unknown
Dive deep into the unknown and discover all there is to know about ET in the electronic essential tremor reference guide, Essential Tremor: What the Experts Say. With just a minimum $30 annual donation, you’ll gain insight and a better understanding of topics ranging from Genetics of ET and ET vs. Parkinson’s to Emotional Aspects of ET and Prospects for Better Treatments and a Cure. Take a sneak peek inside!