Raising Awareness to Essential Tremor
National Essential Tremor Awareness Month
Join the International Essential Tremor Foundation (IETF) each March as we host a special campaign to raise awareness about essential tremor during National Essential Tremor Awareness Month (NETA). Our goal is to achieve a greater understanding and acceptance of essential tremor. Our 2020 theme is “Raise the Curtain on ET.”
Definition of Essential Tremor:
Essential tremor (ET) is a neurological condition that mostly causes a rhythmic trembling of the hands while performing a task such as eating, writing, dressing, drinking or when holding a posture such as with the arms outstretched in front of the body. The tremor can also affect the head, voice, legs and trunk.
Ways to Get Involved in NETA Month
- Hold a fundraiser and designate the funds raised to go to IETF programs that help raise awareness. Be creative and have fun … all for a good cause.
- If you have essential tremor and someone asks you about your shaky hands or shaky head, try to be open and take a moment to tell them a little about essential tremor. You don’t have to give them a clinical definition or 30-minute lecture; simply say something like, “I have a neurological condition called essential tremor, and it causes my hands/head/voice/trunk/legs to shake when I use them.”
- Order free awareness posters and hang them in areas that get a lot of foot traffic, such as grocery stores, pharmacies, your doctor’s office, community or senior centers, local libraries, etc. (Limit 5 maximum)
- You can make an awareness donation anytime through our website.
- Share IETF social media posts and pages from the IETF website on your social media channels. Helping to educate your friends and family is as easy as clicking “share”.
- Use our digital downloads (below) to show your support for the IETF and ET awareness on your emails, posts, and tweets.
FREE Essential Tremor Awareness Posters
These FREE Essential Tremor Awareness posters raise awareness about the condition, and define what it is. The goal is to erase the stigma of ET, and help others to understand that shaking can be a sign of a medical condition. Order one to share with your doctor, or to display at your work, your local community center, library or other public place — any place where others will see it and learn about essential tremor. (Limit 5 maximum)
Facebook Cover Image – Raise awareness to essential tremor through this Facebook banner.
Twitter Cover Image – Use this graphic to liven up your Twitter page and let your followers know about essential tremor.
NETA Month Logo – Upload this National Essential Tremor Awareness Month logo and help promote ET awareness during March.
Make a donation
One of the easiest ways to help raise awareness is to support all the awareness-related programs and services the IETF provides. Your donation goes right back into awareness efforts happening throughout the year and for next year’s big national awareness month campaign, so please give generously.
The history of NETA
The IETF worked very hard to have March designated as National Essential Tremor Awareness Month. Here’s how we did it.
National Essential Awareness Month Proclamation Text
For those who have reached out to state or local governments, to have them declare March to be National Essential Tremor Awareness Month, you are welcome to use the wording from the original House of Representatives Resolution. Don’t know how to find the contact information for your federal, state, and local government officials? Here’s a convenient link.