Essential tremor makes simple hard.
Just penning a simple note can be frustrating if you have essential tremor. And on top of that, most people have never even heard of ET.
We are working hard to change that by celebrating National Essential Tremor Awareness Month each March. By providing free awareness month materials, the IETF helps people gain a better understanding of what ET is, why the IETF exists, and how we can connect with others to search for a cure.
Essential tremor makes simple hard, but fortunately, helping is easy. The first step starts with you. Make an awareness month donation. Hang a free poster in your community. Write to your congressional representative or local media. Share your story, your experiences, with essential tremor. Help us raise awareness.
With the help of the millions of people like you, we know we can make a difference:
- Hold a DIY fundraiser and designate the funds raised to go to IETF programs that help raise awareness. Be creative and have fun … all for a good cause. You can find a handy DIY guidebook and registration form below.
- When someone asks you about your shaking, try to be open and take a moment to tell them a little about essential tremor. You don’t have to give them a clinical definition or 30-minute lecture; simply say something like, “I have a neurological condition called essential tremor, and it causes my hands/head/voice/trunk/legs to shake when I use them.”
- Order free awareness posters and post them in areas that get a lot of foot traffic, such as grocery stores, pharmacies, your doctor’s office, community or senior centers, local libraries, etc. New posters will be available beginning February 2018.
- You can make an awareness donation anytime. While supplies last, get a free awareness month t-shirt with your donation!
- Share IETF social media posts and pages from the IETF website on your social media channels. Helping to educate your friends and family is as easy as clicking “share”.
- Use our digital downloads (below) to show your support for the IETF and ET awareness on your emails, posts, and tweets.
Make a donation
One of the easiest ways to help raise awareness is to support all the awareness-related programs and services the IETF provides. Your donation goes right back into awareness efforts happening throughout the year and for next year’s big national awareness month campaign, so please give generously. Plus, get a free t-shirt with your minimum donation!
The history of NETA
The IETF worked very hard to have March designated as National Essential Tremor Awareness Month. Here’s how we did it.
Do It Yourself Fundraising is an opportunity for those with a deep commitment to the essential tremor cause to raise awareness and funds for the International Essential Tremor Foundation’s mission in new and creative ways.
Register your DIY Fundraiser
Please take a moment to register your event with the IETF. Allow us to help you advertise and promote your DIY fundraising event
Send in this release to your local television, radio stations, and newspapers informing them about the need for greater awareness. You can add your own story of challenges and achievements, and send it out any time of the year to help gain some much-deserved media attention.
Awareness Month Proclamation Text
For those who have reached out to state or local governments, to have them declare March to be Essential Tremor Awareness Month, you are welcome to use the wording from the original House of Representatives Resolution. Don’t know how to find the contact information for your federal, state, and local government officials? Here’s a convenient link.
These Awareness Month Posters are meant to catch the eye. Passersby will see the vivid imagery and the simple text and wonder to themselves “what do peas have to do with whatever essential tremor is?”, and then read on. In less than 5 seconds they can gain a basic understanding of ET. Order a few of these free posters and help us raise awareness in your community.
Facebook Cover Image – Let all your Facebook friends know that you support ET Awareness with this cover image.
Twitter Cover Image – Use this graphic to liven up your Twitter page and let your followers know you support essential tremor awareness.
Google+ Wallpaper – Upload this image for G+ and show your circles that you support ET awareness.
Awareness Month 2016
Learn about all the amazing people that helped make ET Awareness Month 2016 one of our most successful yet! Read their stories and get inspired.