Raising Awareness to Essential Tremor
One of the main goals of the IETF is to raise awareness to essential tremor. In 2010, March was designated as National Essential Tremor Awareness Month, a time to educate the public about essential tremor.
During our 2018 National Essential Tremor Awareness Month campaign in March, we focused on awareness to the stereotype of essential tremor and some of the misconceptions about the condition. What does someone with essential tremor look like? Are they elderly? Are they male or female? What color is their skin? There are no hard answers to these questions because essential tremor affects all people at all ages and stages of life. Essential tremor has no familiar face.
By providing free awareness month materials, the IETF wants to help people gain a better understanding of what essential tremor is and who it affects. We want people to know the role of the IETF, and how we can all connect together to search for a cure for essential tremor.
Essential tremor doesn’t discriminate. More than 10 million toddlers, teens, middle aged adults and the elderly are working hard each day to find ways to manage it . And you can be their advocate. Make an awareness month donation. Hang a free poster in your community. Write to your congressional representative or local media. If you have ET, share your story and experiences with essential tremor. Help us raise awareness.
With the help of the millions of people like you, we know we can make a difference:
- Hold a DIY fundraiser and designate the funds raised to go to IETF programs that help raise awareness. Be creative and have fun … all for a good cause. Let us know about your event by completing this form. Check out this handy DIY guidebook.
- If you have essential tremor and someone asks you about your shaking, try to be open and take a moment to tell them a little about essential tremor. You don’t have to give them a clinical definition or 30-minute lecture; simply say something like, “I have a neurological condition called essential tremor, and it causes my hands/head/voice/trunk/legs to shake when I use them.”
- Order free awareness posters and post them in areas that get a lot of foot traffic, such as grocery stores, pharmacies, your doctor’s office, community or senior centers, local libraries, etc.
- You can make an awareness donation anytime through our website.
- Share IETF social media posts and pages from the IETF website on your social media channels. Helping to educate your friends and family is as easy as clicking “share”.
- Use our digital downloads (below) to show your support for the IETF and ET awareness on your emails, posts, and tweets.
Make a donation
One of the easiest ways to help raise awareness is to support all the awareness-related programs and services the IETF provides. Your donation goes right back into awareness efforts happening throughout the year and for next year’s big national awareness month campaign, so please give generously.
The history of NETA
The IETF worked very hard to have March designated as National Essential Tremor Awareness Month. Here’s how we did it.
Do It Yourself Fundraising is an opportunity for those with a deep commitment to the essential tremor cause to raise awareness and funds for the International Essential Tremor Foundation’s mission in new and creative ways.
Register your DIY Fundraiser
Please take a moment to register your event with the IETF. Allow us to help you advertise and promote your DIY fundraising event
National Essential Awareness Month Proclamation Text
For those who have reached out to state or local governments, to have them declare March to be National Essential Tremor Awareness Month, you are welcome to use the wording from the original House of Representatives Resolution. Don’t know how to find the contact information for your federal, state, and local government officials? Here’s a convenient link.
These National Essential Tremor Awareness Month Posters are meant to catch the eye. Passersby will see all the faces and wonder to themselves “what does someone with essential tremor look like?,” and then read on. In less than 5 seconds they can gain a basic understanding of essential tremor. Order a few of these free posters and help us raise awareness in your community.
Facebook Cover Image – Raise awareness to essential tremor through this Facebook banner.
Twitter Cover Image – Use this graphic to liven up your Twitter page and let your followers know about essential tremor.
NETA Month Logo – Upload this National Essential Tremor Awareness Month logo and help promote ET awareness during March.